Maybe You Should Be Hitting Snooze More

Maybe You Should Be Hitting Snooze More

Abby Hawkins, Editor

Your teachers remind you before a big test. Your parents warn you of the repercussions you will face if you’re lacking. Your doctor tells you to get enough of it. Even after hearing all these warnings, do you get enough sleep?

According to the National Sleep Foundation, most teenagers require 8 to 10 hours of sleep. For those who are 18 years old or older, 7 to 9 hours are recommended. Keep in mind, every person has different needs. While a classmate might feel perfectly fine sleeping the minimum number of recommended hours, you might need to snooze for 9 whole hours to feel prime the next day.

For students, it is common practice to push off sleep in order to study, or finish off an assignment. This habit, however, probably does more harm to your health and GPA than it does good.

Sleep is crucial for a number of things: learning, problem solving skills, creativity, and a safe commute to and from school, to name just a few. Staying up late cramming for a test might sound like a good idea, but without the proper amount of sleep, it will most likely be much more difficult to recall what you studied.

Have you been feeling depressed, stressed, unmotivated, or angry? Don’t be so quick to blame the back to school season. Sleep deficiency has been linked to every one of those symptoms, and more. A lack of sleep even increases your risk of obesity.

For some, it might be harder to get in some shut eye. Here are three quick tips to help you get the sleep that you need.

Try to stick to a consistent sleep schedule. Go to bed and wake up around the same time every day. This helps to regulate your body’s natural clock.

Find a relaxing bedtime routine. This will help to prepare your body and mind to get to sleep each night.

Avoid your phone, computer, or TV before bed. The light from screens like these can disrupt your sleep cycle. Consider reading or journaling before bed instead.