Cross Country Girls Power Through Mid-season

Ellie Schober, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet Varsity Cross Country girls put in another solid performance this week while competing at the 2017 Curtis Cross Country Invitational and in their Metro meet against Roosevelt and Rainier Beach.

The 2017 Curtis Cross Country Invitational has on Saturday and was held at in University Place, Washington. The 5K run winds through the 950 acres of Chambers Creek Properties, which is home to the Chambers Bay Golf Course. Chambers Bay held the 2015 US Open Golf tournament and is known for its scenic views of south Puget Sound. The course terrain is mostly grass.

At the Invitational, the Bishop Blanchet Varsity Cross Country girls team ranked second, right behind Crescent Valley high school. The team average for the course was 20:45 minutes. Freshmen, Olivia Freeman, lead the Brave girls with an individual placement of 3rd place. She completed the race in 19:37 minutes and averaged a 6:19 mile. The team was supported by Captain Emma Flood’s 16th placement and by Abby Hecko and Tait Rowley placing in the top 30.

Then on Thursday, the Braves fought hard again against tough opponents Rainier Beach and Roosevelt and secured place for their team. Flood finished first for the Braves with a strong time of 20:01. Coming in just two seconds after her was Freeman.

The girls race again on October 11th at Lower Woodland against Lakeside, Holy Names Eastside Catholic and Bainbridge.