Braves’ Varsity Football Season Wraps-Up With Lessons Learned

Joe Hinshaw, Reporter

As the Braves’ Varsity Football draws to a close, head coach Kyle Moore and Seniors John Steele, Parker Jonas, and Leonard Hicks reflect on their areas of growth and season highlights.

The team began their season with the main objective of dominating their division with the values of EMBERS in mind, an acronym created for this season that stands for Effort, Manpower, Brotherhood, Engaged, Relentless, and Sacrifice.

“These values came naturally from working together all season,” said Steele.

The team was made up of around 50 players, but even still, the coaches tried to put every player in regular rotation each game, which exemplifies the importance of brotherhood and manpower on this team.

“Our players are relentless,” said Hicks. “We are persistent on and off the field and that’s what makes our team great.”

Hicks’ observation shows how the team has won seven straight games, accruing over 400 yards over five of those seven.

Seniors Troy Alan and Stewart Blaikie watch in awe as Masika Ulwenya breaks through a tackle against Nathan Hale High School.

“Our offensive line, also known as ‘DOLA,’ is one of the best units in the state,” remarked Moore.

They have played an essential role for the team, this year especially, continuing to the incredible yardage gained over the course of the season.

The highlights of the season were unanimously shared between Steele, Jonas, and Hicks, with each of them remarking that their proudest moment was defeating Ballard for the Homecoming game.

These three seniors have been dedicated members of the Bishop Blanchet football program for all four of their years, making this season their last chance to leave an impact on the field.

“We have developed a bond through our four years,” says Steele. “This year we really just grew closer, which can be seen through our dynamic on the field.”

The team earned the title of the Puget Sound Champions for their division with hard work, a skill useful in all aspects of life.

“Blanchet football taught me that sacrifices lead to success,” stated Steele. “This program has shaped me into a much harder worker.”

The image of the EMBERS was symbolic of the Braves’ season, demonstrating how constant hard work builds the flame into something much bigger.

“We want to keep building our fire, even as the season comes to a close,” said Hicks. “We need to keep these embers alive.”