Brave Voices Speak of Texas Mass Shooting

Kayla Ponti, Reporter

On November 5th, 26 people were killed and 20 were injured after a gunman opened fire at a local church in Sutherland Springs, Texas.

After authorities came out with the list of victims of the shooting, the age range of people ranged from an 18 months to 77 years old.

The gunman who has been identified as Derek P. Kelley was a resident of a close by neighborhood and had served in the United States Air Force in 2010 through 2014. Kelley left the Air Force with a “bad conduct” discharge and was sentenced to a year in prison for assault charges against his wife and newborn daughter. Domestic issues had also been happening between Kelley and his in-laws and after investigation, one of the victims that Kelley had gun downed was his grandmother-in-law.

Derek Kelley should have never been able to purchase a gun because of his violent background, but the United States Air Force never put his name in the federal database, which resulted in Kelley having a “clean” background, allowing him to purchase the gun.

The Bishop Blanchet community has many mixed feelings and concerns about the Texas shooting and other incidents that have happened.

“It is really sad what happened in Texas” said senior Marianna Mele “and the fact that shootings happen way too often.”

About a month ago on October 1st, a gunman in Las Vegas shot at a crowd of 22,000 people at country concert killing 58 people and injuring 546 making it the biggest mass shooting in United States history.

“I think there needs to be stricter rules for the people who want to purchase a gun,” said senior Masika Ulywena, “because of how often these mass shootings keep happening.”

The recent mass shootings have caught many people’s attention and have started conversations about renewing calls for action on gun control.

Omit people are concerned in the increase in gun violence over the past years and hope that light is around the corner in decreasing the acts of violence.

Kayla Ponti, Reporter

Kayla Ponti, a senior at Bishop Blanchet, is beginning her first year as a member of the Miter staff and journalism team. Kayla is excited to improve her writing skills by writing about the sports events, school news, and the Brave community. She believes that everyone should know what is going on in their community and is excited to be a voice for the Braves. Kayla is also an ambassador, captain of the girls swim team, a member of St. Vincent de Paul, and runs on the track team in the spring time. Outside of the classroom, Kayla works at Aqua Club as a lifeguard and teaches swim lessons in the summer, enjoys skiing on Friday nights at Stevens Pass, attending Blanchet sports events, and watching The Office. Kayla also enjoys keeping up with current events by watching Fox News, as well as listening to talk shows, and reading the Seattle News. Kayla is thrilled about being apart of the Miter staff and can’t wait to write for the Brave community.