Danica Roem Breaks Political Barriers

Cade Prinzivalli, Reporter

On November 7, 2017, Danica Roem became the first openly transsexual elected to the Virginia Legislature when she defeated Republican delegate Bob Marshall. Roem, a former journalist and metal vocalist, focused primarily on fixing a congested commuter road in northern Virginia during her campaign.

Bob Marshall, alongside other Republican delegates consistently misidentified Roem’s gender seemingly intentionally. Regardless, Roem has opened up new doors for the LGBTQ community through her victory.

“2017 will be remembered as the year of the trans candidate,” said Victory Fund chief executive Aisha C. Moodie-Mills, “and Danica’s heroic run for office the centerpiece of that national movement.”

Several other transsexual delegates have been elected to state legislatures prior to Roem, but she was the first openly transsexual delegate elected to legislature. Danica Roem rarely focused on her transition and her views surrounding it when campaigning and successfully kept her campaign around political points relevant to Virginia.

Roem, who would be the first openly transgender politician elected in Virginia, is shown in a campaign ad taking hormone medication and putting on eye makeup. In a voice-over, she tells viewers that her gender identity “shouldn’t be newsworthy or political.”

Danica Roem’s election into the Virginia Legislature has opened the door for the LGBTQ community in the political realm.

Cade Prinzivalli, Reporter
Cade Prinzivalli is a junior at Bishop Blanchet and is a new addition to The Miter staff. A novice journalist, he hopes to enhance his writing abilities and is eager to contribute to the newspaper. He enjoy spending his free time with friends and playing basketball. He has an extensive interest in politics and events...