Social Media is Creating Problems that Shouldn’t be Problems

Once again, Donald Trump fired a “tweet” that insulted the North Korean dictator, and this time, Kim Jong-un has “sentenced Trump to death.”

Grace Klauser, Editor

Social media’s influence on politics seems to be growing each day, and President Donald Trump seems to be instigating a lot of it. On Friday November 11, Trump released a “tweet” reading “Why would Kim Jong-un insult me by calling me ‘old,’ when I would NEVER call him ‘short and fat?’ Oh well, I try so hard to be his friend-and maybe someday it will happen!”

Trump protestors were not pleased with this “tweet,” and fought against it on Twitter.

“I don’t understand what he’s thinking,” said sophomore Sebastian Rizo. “Kim Jong-un is clearly not on the best terms with him already, and [Trump] is just making things worse.”

They were not the only people not happy with this social media post though. Kim Jong-un himself found out about it, and made a speech on November 15 addressing it. The dictator admitted he called Trump “old,” but was highly offended by the names he was called over social media.

Kim Jong-un ordered a Korean “death sentence” upon Trump. The North Korean leader is rattled by the “short and fat” tweet.

The fact that this is a situation between two world leaders is ridiculous. It seems that it should be an issue between two first graders.

There are already many other problems between the two countries that need to be solved, before they start bringing nonsense like this into it.

This is not the first time Trump has made an uncalled for tweet regarding international issues. It seems as though, at this point, he is asking for attention from Americans whether it is positive or angry attention, and that is exactly what he is getting. Trump likes to see a reaction, and both citizens and Kim Jong-un are giving him just that.

“I think it’s kind of entertaining to see everyone get so worked up about it,” said senior Olivia Zumdieck. “I think it’s important that Donald Trump is aggressive and doesn’t back down against North Korea.”

Zumdieck finds humor in seeing the way people react to this over social media, and it taking over her entire twitter feed.

The unnecessary controversy between the two leaders needs to come to an end, and they need to focus on issues that are actually their affecting their countries as a whole.