Boy’s Swim Team Swims their Way to State

Kayla Ponti, Reporter

The boys swim team swam against Eastside Catholic on Friday, December 15th at Queen Anne Pool and on Friday, January 5th, the Braves went head to head with the defending state champions, Bainbridge High School.

The Crusaders had an extremely small team, with only five swimmers competing. This gave the Braves an advantage and they ended up winning 121-41.  

The Braves head coach, Coach Mike McCloskey, decided to switch things up after hearing about the size of Eastside’s team. He took the opportunity to switch up everyone’s events and decided that the swimmers were going to swim events that they don’t normally swim.  

“This gave everyone the opportunity to swim different events than normal and get a time,” said senior captain Paul Codd, “But it did not give anyone the chance to shine individually since we were not swimming events that we were strong at.”

Overall, the Braves were happy with their performance as a team.

When the Braves swam against Bainbridge High School last Friday, the team went into the meet with a positive attitude, which helped with their performance.

“We knew how good of a team Bainbridge was, but we wanted to make sure that we kept our head up and swim our best,” said Codd.

Even though the Braves lost, 99-87, they had an amazing meet. The 200 Medley Relay, swam by  Alex Oishi, Jack Schrader, Ryan Gamble, and Evan Zverev qualified for state, as well as the 400 Freestyle Relay, which is swam by Michael Lin, Ryan Gamble, Jack Schrader, and Alex Oishi.

“The team was pumped about the the relays qualifying,” said Codd.

The two divers, Evan Martin and Ben Ryan, did an amazing job diving as well by earning extra points for the team.

The Braves next meet in on Friday, January 19th at Medgar Evers Pool against O’Dea at 4:00.