Blanchet Grilled Cheese Fly Off the Stove

Derek Loen, Reporter

Out of all of the food served at the Bishop Blanchet cafeteria, the grilled cheese holds a special place in many students’ hearts.

These classic cheese sandwiches are special for a couple different reasons. I wasn’t exactly sure what it was that made them so tasty, so I decided to do some research.

“The grilled cheese are made with two pieces of buttered bread and Tillamook cheddar cheese,” said head chef Ms. Matthews. “We serve approximately 140 per day.”

Some students are such big fans of the sandwiches that they eat them nearly every day. These grilled cheese regulars all have their different reasons for their lunch decisions, but they all will agree that nothing else in the cafeteria compares to the consistent deliciousness they’ve learned to love from the sandwiches.

Senior Joey Riley has eaten a grilled cheese almost every day of his 4 years spent here. He has lots of respect for the cooks’ skills in making the grilled cheese.

“I appreciate them because whenever I try to make them at home they simply aren’t good,” said Riley. “At BBHS the bread is perfectly golden, and the cheese is melted to perfection.”

In order to add some extra flavor, students like to put their own twist on the sandwiches with dipping sauces. The different sauces I’ve heard students use are ketchup, pasta sauce, ranch, and tartar sauce.

Those who do this often get strange looks and criticism from others. Jack Deane claims he’s the first person he knows to dip a grilled in tartar sauce.

“I have received a lot of slander from my friends,” said Deane. “But it’s actually really good.”

The Blanchet grilled cheese is a simple, yet fantastic sandwich. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great lunch.