The Big Sick is Sure to Delight

Ellie Schober, Reporter

The Big Sick is a simple, heartwarming, and unadulterated story of the relationship between the son of two Muslim Pakistani parents and a white American girl.

In this true story, the personable characters draw you in from the moment the film starts. Kumail Nanjiani plays himself as a struggling comedian in modern day Chicago, Illinois. After one of his comedy shows he meets a graduate student named Emily (played by Zoe Kazan) while sitting at the bar.  After a one night stand, the two characters enter into a relationship. However, because Kumail comes from a traditional Pakistani family, his parents are adamant about him marrying a woman who is also Pakistani. To Kumail’s frustration, Kumail’s parents are constantly inviting Pakistani women to meet him.  

When Emily learns Kumail’s parents has been introduced to other women throughout the entirety of their relationship, she breaks it off.  However, it is not long before Emily becomes ill from a serious medical condition. Kumail is right by Emily’s side throughout her sickness and develops a connection with Emily’s parents.

If you’re looking for a story to take you on an emotional roller coaster, this is the movie for you. It provides a unique insight into the world of arranged marriages that are still in practice with some cultures in America today. It is also interesting to watch Kumail try to find a balance between his family’s traditions and parents’ expectations with his feelings for Emily and her parents. Also, knowing that Nanjiani is actually playing himself in the film, gives viewers a unusual perspective into this actor. He does a great job in this autobiographical movie.  

The Big Sick is now out of theaters, but it is available to rent.  It is definitely worth seeing.