Niko’s Gyros Adds Flavor to Magnolia

Derek Loen, Reporter

If you’re looking for exquisite traditional Greek dishes, a quaint and comfortable restaurant, or even a cheap meal to-go, Niko’s Gyros is the place.

Everyone in Magnolia knows about Niko’s. It’s a staple for a familiar and healthy meal perfect for the whole family. The restaurant is family owned, by the Serpanos’, who always make the environment cheerful and friendly. On the inside, the counter is filled with Christmas cards and Halloween pictures from other Magnolia residents, and the walls are filled with news articles and a map of Greece. It’s always busy and filled with the aroma of the delicious cuisine.

“There’s something special about Niko’s,” Jack Deane said. “I remember going there on Fridays back when I was in middle school, and the people that work there always been super nice.”

There’s something for everybody on the menu at Niko’s. A few of the classics include the chicken souvlaki Greek salad, the avgolemono soup, and of course, the traditional gyro. Even online reviewers have overwhelmingly positive things to say about this place. It got a recommendation from Jon Fisch of the Seattle Times, and a 4.5 star rating on Yelp.

“If you’re looking for no fuss, delicious Greek food, this is the place to go”, says Briana M. on Yelp.

Although the reception of the food at Niko’s Gyros is great, there has been one side dish that has caused an uproar among the regular customers: the Greek fries. Around 2014, the manufacturer that cut their fries went out of business, forcing them to switch to a hard waffle fry. There was nothing that could be done about this change, but the customers made sure to share their concern about it.

“Nothing will beat the original fries,” frequent eater Matty Campbell said. “The waffle fries aren’t even worth buying.”

Regardless of the fry controversy, Niko’s Gyros deserves all of the praise it gets. It’s rare to find a Greek restaurant as casual and delicious as Niko’s in Seattle. No other restaurant in the Magnolia area can beat this classic venue.

Derek Loen, Reporter

One of the most exciting new staff members added to the team this year is Derek Loen. Derek is a senior this year at Blanchet and is involved in many activities throughout the school, from sports like Cross Country and Track to ASB Treasurer. You can usually find him around the school working on one of his various extracurricular activities, talking with friends, or paying attention in the classroom.  Derek enjoys reading the Seattle Times most mornings to catch up on the latest events.  Derek’s knowledge and involvement around the school will be a fantastic addition to this year’s team.