Girls Basketball Keeps Runnin’

Hailey Mears, Reporter

The Blanchet Girls Varsity basketball team participated in an invitational tournament over the weekend in Tacoma. The team has participated in the past, and they were asked to return based on an impressive performance last year.

While the team has had a good season so far, they have encountered a few bumps along the way. The way they approach improvement is with a strong and determined mindset.

“We played hard,” said senior Katie Merrywell, “but in the end we just couldn’t hold them off. We were tired and didn’t play to our full potential.”

The team suffered a loss and is choosing not to reflect negatively on the experience, but direct their energy on improvement.

“We didn’t play as well as I know we could have,” said senior Jordan Ruiz, “I know what we are capable of and we are working towards doing better.”

When faced with a loss each girl on the team understands the importance of reflecting on mistakes and narrowing their focus on what they could have done better and how they will do better in the future. With focuses like these they are no doubt a team who is constantly becoming more unified while working towards a common goal of a successful season.

“In the end we are all just working towards doing better,” said freshman Ava DiPietro, “and we all want to contribute and give our best effort.”

The girls play Eastside Catholic next at Bishop Blanchet on Friday, January 19.

Hailey Mears, Reporter

Hailey Mears, a senior at Bishop Blanchet High School, has always loved to read and write and is looking forward to applying those interests into working on The Miter. She is thrilled to be joining journalism, and is excited to share something so great with her fellow students at BBHS. Hailey is hoping to not only have fun, but also focus on improving as a writer and reporter. She loves attending Blanchet and takes any opportunity she gets to catch a soccer, basketball, football, lacrosse, volleyball game, or track meet. Hailey is a member of the swim team and enjoys participating in her meets as well. In her spare time, Hailey loves spending time with her friends and family, watching movies, and nannying. She also loves to stay updated and aware of whats happening in her community, nationwide, and across the globe. She does so by reading publications such as The Seattle Times and CNN.