Blanchet Crumbles Under the Number 8 Ranked Garfield

Jason Knoblich, Reporter

Senior night ended in a disappointing manner, with the Bishop Blanchet varsity boys basketball team losing 80 to 49 in a high flying explosive game.

Last Friday, January 26th, Blanchet celebrated senior night for those on the team who will be graduating this spring, thanking them and their families for their continual support and commitment to the Bishop Blanchet basketball program. However, after the recognition of the seniors, play began and things did not turn out the way the players and fans had hoped.

“Senior nights are always fun.” said fan Will Fleming, “It was just too bad we didn’t have a better game; it’s gotta be disappointing for the team not to win on their senior night.”

Since it was senior night the coaches decided to give starts to all the seniors, allowing them to enjoy their night of recognition. The senior Braves played well, keeping the game within in reach for some time before Garfield ultimately took over, leaving Blanchet in the dust. Even though the game was over before the beginning of the fourth quarter, it was still an exciting game to watch, with Garfield putting on a show of crazy dunks and alley-oops.

Unfortunately for one senior he didn’t get the opportunity to play due to an injury that ended his season prematurely. Senior center Jack Shanahan has been out since the end of December due to a ACL tear and is not expected to return this season. Watching the game last night he was disappointed, feeling that Garfield was putting salt in the wound.

“They were playing with us by the end of the game.” said Shanahan, “They were just trying to add dunks and highlights to their mixtapes.”

This loss marks the eighth game in a row that the Blanchet varsity boys basketball team has lost, the longest win drought of the entire season. Although things are looking bad for the team, the Braves are hopeful and committed to improving each week.

“There’s nothing we can do about our record now,” said senior guard TJ Kenny, “All we can do now is try to get better in the few weeks we have left and finish the season off on a strong note.”

Jason Knoblich, Reporter

Going into his senior year, Jason Knoblich makes his debut as a reporter for The Miter. Completely new to journalism, Jason hopes to sharpen his journalistic skills and improve on his writing ability. To gain some background on Jason and understand who he is, it’s critical to know of his love for sports. He’s played sports all his life, and at Bishop Blanchet High School, he was able to play football and basketball for his first two years until deciding to pursue his running career. He’s now been running cross country for two years and going into this year’s track season he’ll have been running for four years. Besides running Jason enjoys spending his spare time watching the Bishop Blanchet football team and spending time with friends.