Boys Swim Team Kicks Their Way to State

Kayla Ponti, Reporter

The boys swim team swam at Metros at Snohomish Aquatic Center on Friday, February 2nd and on Friday, February 9th, they swam at Districts at Mary Wayte Pool.

There were many best times and even school records were broken. The boys did an amazing job at Metros and ended up finishing in fifth place overall at the Metro Championships.

Alex Oishi, Jack Schrader, Evan Zverev, and Ryan Gamble broke the 33 year old school record in the 200 Medley Relay.

Jack Shrader placed second in the 100 Breakstroke, and Ryan Gamble placed second in both the 50 and 100 Freestyle.

The 400 Freestyle Relay, which is swam by Jack Shrader, Ryan Gamble, Alex Oishi, and Michael Lin placed second overall. The time ended up being the third fastest in the state this year.

“It was a really good meet and there was a lot of amazing swims, which was super exciting,” said senior Paul Codd.

Unfortunately, the divers, sophomore Ben Ryan and freshman Evan Martin, did not qualify for Metros.

At the Districts this past weekend, the team, overall, had a good meet.

“We definitely did not do as well as we did at Metros,” said Codd, “But we still did pretty good for swimming in a slow pool.”
The 200 Freestyle Relay was swam by Michael Lin, Evan Zverev, Ryan Gamble, and Jack Shrader and they ended up beating the school record that was 23 years old.

Ryan Gamble had another great meet and placed third in the 50 and 100 Freestyle, as well as Jack Schrader placing second in the 100 Breaststroke, and the 400 Freestyle Relay placed second.

The boy’s team has 12 qualified swimmers that are swimming in the State Championship Meet.

“It should be an exciting meet and we are hoping for some amazing swims,” said Codd.

The boys swim in the state meet this Friday, February 16th at 10:00 AM.