Grammy-Nominated Movie Call Me By Your Name Is a Modern Love Story That You Won’t Want to Miss

Allie Boyle, Reporter

When I first saw the movie trailer for Call Me By Your Name, I was immediately intrigued. In just the trailer alone I could tell that it was going to be a beautiful movie. Directed by Luca Guadagnino, it tells the modern love story of a boy named Elio (played by Timothée Chalamet) and a man named Oliver (played by Armie Hammer).

Elio and his family go to Italy each summer, and every year his father invites one of his students to come to Italy to study Greek-Roman Culture with him. This year he invited Oliver. The movie shows the summer that they spent together, and the love that they formed for one another. It is a beautiful summer romance story that breaks the norm of the typical heterosexual romance movies.

One of my favorite things about the movie was the cinematography. The movie takes place in the inland region of Lombardy in Northern Italy. Guadagnino actually lived here for many years, so he was very familiar with the area when directing the movie. The way that the setting was captured in the film was incredible. From the historic architecture, to the beautiful Italian countryside, it was a very romantic setting which complimented the love between Elio and Oliver perfectly.

I also really enjoyed the film because of how genuine and sincere the love was between Elio and Oliver. In a lot of love movies I feel like the connection between the two people feels forced,almost like don’t even really love each other. In Call Me By Your Name, the connection between them felt real, and not forced. I felt like I could actually see them together if the movie was a real life scenario. This just shows how talented both actors were.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I really loved how it broke the norms of the typical romance movies. It was simply the beautiful story of two men who fell in love. I would definitely recommend it to anyone especially those who enjoy romance films.