Snapchat Headline Triggers Many Users

Grace Klauser, Editor

Last week, Snapchat released an update that is getting nothing more than negative feedback by daily users. The goal of the update was to make the app easier to use, but it seemed to actually do just the opposite.

According to CNN, Snapchat currently has 187 million daily users, and the update has affected about a quarter of them so far.

An Australian Snapchat user, Nic Rumsey hosted a petition on change.org called “Remove the New Snapchat Update.” According to an article from the Guardian, the petition has over 600,000 signatures.

“Updates as big as this one can take a little getting used to,” said a Snapchat spokesperson in an interview with CNN. “But we hope the community will enjoy it once they settle in.”

The redesigned app is not pleasing users, including Blanchet students.

“No one likes the update at all,” said senior Cameron Griffin. “I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of people just stop using Snapchat all together.”

The app may lose users, which would not be a benefit to the Snapchat company, but it would certainly be helpful to teens. Today’s teenagers are becoming more and more invested in social media, and Snapchat certainly affects them in many ways.

“I think Snapchat distracts people from a lot,” said Senior Jackson Brown.

The update is the largest redesign that the app has released since it first launched in 2011, but the company does not plan on changing it back.

Users will either have to just get used to it, and recognize that it is not the end of the world, or get rid of the app. Snapchat is most likely not going to last forever, as it is hopefully just a trending phase.