Horrific Mass Shooting Kills 17 Kids and Ignites a Generation of Students.

Hunter Redmon, Reporter

Nineteen year old gunman Nikolas Cruz orchestrated a massacre at Marjory Stone and Douglas High School in South Florida, taking 17 lives and instilling fear in the hearts of students, faculty and parents alike.

On February 15, 2018 Cruz opened fire, using primarily an AR-15 rifle to mow down all of those in his path, including fourteen students and three staff members, all ranging from ages 14-49, according to Lori Rozsa’s article from the Washington Post.  

Michael Katz, a student at the horrific scene, relayed what he observed as the shooting commenced.

“I heard what sounded like a garbage truck like banging,” said Katz. ” ‘Boom, boom, boom.’ I hear screaming everywhere,” he said. “I just got underneath my teacher’s desk.”

Imagine hearing loud gunshots outside of your door and being so vulnerable that your only protection is a wooden desk.

According to Emily Shapiro’s article from ABC News, groups of students were seen frantically fleeing the school as law enforcement arrived at the scene. Many of them were hysterical, as some had seen their peers get shot, and bodies lying on the floor.  

More troubling than anything else is perhaps that the shooting is no surprise in this day and age, mirroring such events as the Las Vegas Shooting, Sandy Hook, and Columbine to just name a few.

In the past, mass shootings have sparked the hot political debate on gun control, but ultimately, not much has ever been done to address many people’s concerns. However, this time, in the wakes of the tragedy, something feels a little different, and a lot of it has to do with the student survivors of Marjory Stone and Douglas High School themselves.

Students have spoken out like never before on the divisive political issue and it’s making waves throughout the nation. According to Richard Luscombe’s article in The Guardian, they made plans for a “March of Our Lives Rally” rally in Washington DC, along with other major cities across the country, to take place on March 24th. Students have come out on television programs, held speeches and made many profound comments like the nation has never seen before.

“There’s grieving obviously, but we’re breathing and coping through our voices, not through our tears,” said student Alex Wind. “Now is the time for action, for power and strength.”

This message of action is one that has a new ring to it coming from the students themselves rather than politicians like in the past. Having experienced the wrath of a an AR-15 first hand, students are intolerant to the stasis in congress. They largely blame the corruption between the NRA and our politicians for allowing such an event to happen.

“They are hiding behind their own little castles of NRA money and they have no idea what to do,” said student Cameron Kasky who spoke out at a rally at the Broward County Federal Courthouse.

Whether one argues that gun control is an effective way to help stifle these tragedies or not, there is no question that something must be done. Hopefully the action these students are demanding America to make comes to fruition. If not, the country could suffer a much greater loss.