UW Math Day Has A Positive Impact

Joe Hinshaw, reporter

The 2018 Math Day Conference at the University of Washington campus unfolded on March 19. Students and mathematicians alike joined to learn more about the algorithms behind devices we use everyday.

Among the over 1,000 attendees were around 100 Bishop Blanchet students and teachers. Algebra and calculus teacher, Annette Rembold, and zealous students, Elijah Sherwood and Paul Codd sacrificed a day of school to see what Math Day was all about.

“It was a great experience for both myself and the students,” said Rembold.

The day began promptly at 9am in Kane Hall, with the keynote speech by Seattle University Professor, Steven Klee. His talk focused on the technological triumphs and algorithmic errors of autocorrect. He spoke on the way our phones determine what we probably meant to say, taking into account word popularity, distance between letters on the keyboard, and the number of mistakes in the string of characters.

Presentations in this realm could be found throughout the rest of the day. For instance, there were options for attendees to listen to talks on the “cryptocurrency,” Bitcoin, or find out how to master the game of Dots and Boxes.

“I think I mastered Dots and Boxes after that speech,” said Codd.

The University of Washington hosts Math day every year in March, beginning in 2012. This is an opportunity for students to see real-life application to the math they learn in the classrooms, a tough task for many teachers.

“The speeches were interesting,” said Sherwood, “While also being educational.”

UW Math Day was a major success, at least among Blanchet math-lovers.

“I am planning on attending again,” said Rembold. “I’m looking forward to what’s to come next year.”