Track is off to the races

Rachel Willison, Reporter

On Thursday, March 22, at Rainier Beach High School the Bishop Blanchet Track and Field team put its first official meet of the 2018 season in the books, with a lot of great performances all across the board.

The Bishop Blanchet Track and Field competed against Rainier Beach High School and West Seattle High School, and while it is still early, many personal records (PRs) were broken at the meet.

Senior distance runner Peter Dyer ran his best mile time of 5:26.02 of his high school career at the meet.

“I have been training a lot,” said Dyer. “I really want to make my last year my best year. I participated in Cross Country in the fall and kept running during the offseason to be prepared for Track [and Field].”

Assistant boys distance coach Thomas Albes was very impressed with many of the runners who competed.

“We had some good, early season performances,” said Albes. “We treated the meet as an extension of our training for the week, and despite some tired legs, the boys were impressive. One of the most impressive meet performances from the day was junior Pieran Robert who ran 3 races, the 1600, 800, and 4×400, in a very short amount of time. The early season training is going well, and we are looking forward to the rest of the season.”

Senior Lars Krokum has competed on the Track and Field team for the last four years and ran his best 800 event time at the meet.

“The meet was really great,” said Krokum. “Everyone ran really well, a lot of PRs were broken and the whole team is looking forward to a great season.”

The Braves take on Bainbridge and Lakeside at Bainbridge High School on Wednesday, March 28, at 3:30 pm.