Bishop Blanchet Tennis Takes HNA/O’Dea Rivals Head-On

Joe Hinshaw, Reporter

On Thursday April 12, the Brave’s boys and girls tennis squad played an intense match against Holy Names and O’Dea. The competition had its ups and downs, but overall helped in improving the skills of the team, including seniors Jack Heffernan and Zoe Langley.

“They technically beat us overall,” said Langley. “But we’re getting better with every match.”

Heffernan, who usually plays singles for Bishop Blanchet’s tennis team, tried his hand at doubles for the first time on Thursday. O’Dea came out on top in the end on this one, defeating them 9-6.

The tennis team lets the students experiment with what type of match they want to play, whether it be doubles or singles. The team strives for the most well-rounded and diversely equipped athlete possible.

“This was my first time playing doubles,” said Heffernan. “It didn’t go exactly as I would have hoped, but I still learned from it.”

The tennis players work on their technique every day after school, preparing for their upcoming matches, assuming that they don’t get rained out.

“It was nice that we actually got to play!” said Heffernan.

The Braves fought hard on Thursday, trying to inch out the Cougars and Fighting Irish on performance, but came up a little short. They will take what they can out of this match, still striving for excellence day in and day out.