Girls JV Lacrosse Splits Games With One Great Win and One Close Loss

Hunter Redmon, Reporter

The Girls JV Lacrosse team goes from a large victory against Graham-Kapowsin to a nail biting defeat against Ballard as they segue into the final stretch of their successful season.

On April 20th, the team endured another long bus ride to Spanaway to play Graham-Kapowsin. According to junior Elizabeth Zajaczkowski, the team arrived to the field early as the varsity team was playing.

“This was great as we were able to take note of some of the things that varsity does well and try to implement them in our game”, said Zajaczkowski in an interview.

Watching the varsity team must have done some good as the team marched to a 12-6 victory. Many players reported it was a really fun game. Most athletes would agree that when you make a long trip to enemy territory it’s always good to come away with a win.

On April 24th, the Lady Braves took on the Ballard Beavers at Mickey Nash Field. The game had some weight given the tension between Blanchet and Ballard throughout this year’s football season. The Braves were short some players due to injuries and sickness. As a result, two varsity players, Junior Lena Gorev and Junior Zoe Jelinek, came down to join the junior varsity squad.

According to Sophomore Frances Allen, the game was played in hot, sunny, weather, which isn’t always the easiest for a sport involving pads, especially when the Lady Braves had no subs.

“It was probably the most competitive game we played all season,” said freshman Anna Cougar.

The Girls ended up losing by one heartbreaking goal. While the loss wasn’t ideal, the team still learned a lot from the game and continues to learn something new from every game.

“They are excelling at their 1 v 1 defense and and shot placement,” said Gustafson. “In the future I am looking forward to seeing the players continue to improve, as well as grow the team by recruiting more players next season.”

All should be encouraged to go cheer on the Lady Braves at Micky Nash next Saturday. The Girls JV team has one last home game on Saturday, May 6th, hosting Gonzaga Prep.