Toronto Man injures 15 And Kills 10

Chris Salvador, reporter

A white van went through a crowd of pedestrians in north Toronto, killing at least 10 people and injuring at least another 15.

This act did seem deliberate, but there are no found links between this horrifying event and any terrorist organizations. This event seemed to be planned and done by only by one single person, rather than an organized group.

According to Vox writers Zeeshan Aleem and Jen Kirby, the driver drove down the sidewalk reaching up to 40 miles per hour and traveled up to a mile before being apprehended by the Toronto police. The Police have identified the driver as 25 year old Alek Minassian of Richmond Hill, Ontario.

“This is truly a tragic event that seems to be one of many” said senior Nate Lewis.

Marc Saunders, the chief of the Toronto police said the investigation was still in progress. He told reporters that they believe that the act was deliberate, but they haven’t determined his motives. Minassian was not previously known to police and did not have a police record of any kind.

“It’s sad to see all these tragic events,” said junior Alex Plastino “It’s like its becoming a norm to see such events on the news”.

At the moment Canadian authorities have not found a link with Minassian and any terrorist organizations and are not treating the incident as a terrorist attack.

Ralph Goodale, Canada’s Minister of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness stated that there were no national security risks.

Justin Trudeau, the Canadian Prime Minister expressed his condolences for the victims on Monday afternoon. Saying that their hearts go out to everyone affected by this event.

“I am glad this isn’t terrorist related,” said senior Sam Peerce “ But it’s sickening to hear about”.

This method of attack has been seen before in other ISIS inspired attacks around the world. Vehicles have been used to cause harm to others in cities including New York, where eight were killed last October, and Nice, where 86 people were killed in 2016.

It is truly tragic to see another violent crime where it ends with loss of life; however we can learn from our mistakes and get to the bottom of these violent crimes.

Chris Salvador, Reporter

Chris Salvador, a Senior at Bishop Blanchet, is going into his first year being a part of The Miter staff. He is excited to begin his journey as a journalist and strengthen his abilities as a writer. Chris enjoys attending sporting events, and can be found in the stands of a Bishop Blanchet football or basketball game. He is a former cross country runner and football player who enjoys the time he spent with his friends. He is currently apart of the track and field team here at Bishop Blanchet and hopes to give it his all in his final year at Blanchet. It is a new year and new opportunity to be apart of something bigger, and The Miter is the place on where Chris has set his eyes. In this incoming 2017-2018 school year, Chris hopes to inform you anything and everything Brave related. Chris wishes to be more active in the Brave community, and help show the world what it’s like here at Blanchet.