Echosmith Stays On-Brand with New Single

Gigi Gallaudet, Reporter

Formed in 2009 by a group of four siblings, Echosmith is an indie-rock band hailing from Chino Hills, California.

The group has released two studio albums, “Talking Dreams” in 2013 and “Inside a Dream” in 2017. They also have several EP’s, or extended plays, to their name. Echosmith is best known for their 2013 single, “Cool Kids”.

“I like that song, it’s so catchy!” said senior Cameron Griffin.

“Cool Kids” peaked at number 13 in the Billboard Charts, with over 1,200,000 sales in the US. The song also earned the group a Teen Choice Awards nomination for the award of “Choice Music Single.” In the same year, the group also received nominations from the Kids Choice Awards and the MTV Europe Music Awards.

“They rock,” said senior Luke Bader.

Echosmith returned to the spotlight again in 2017 with their album “Inside a Dream,” which gained critical acclaim for its “distinctive melody-minded, New Wave-influenced sound.” Since this studio album, Echosmith enters the spotlight again with a new single that was released on March 16, 2018.

“I actually haven’t heard anything about them in a while,” said junior Sadie Kenny.

“Over my Head” has been described by Warner Bros Records as a more evolved sound than that of the band’s past, but after giving the new tune a listen, I can’t say I agree. There’s nothing wrong with the dream-like, heavy-sync, pop vibe that is intrinsic to “Over my Head,” but with Echosmith, this is not a new sound.

The new single clearly mimics the tone of the band’s biggest hit “Cool Kids.” After the 2013 song’s success, it’s no surprise that the band hopes to replicate that popularity. Overall, this is a solid song for people looking for relaxation and good vibes but not something  that is overly innovative or stimulating.

“Over my Head” preludes Echosmith’s new album that will be coming this summer.

Gigi Gallaudet, Reporter

A new edition to the Miter this year, Gigi is a senior at Bishop Blanchet. She is the captain of the soccer team and a mentor on Brave Connection. When she is not writing articles or playing soccer, Gigi enjoys reading, spending quality time with family and friends, and traveling. Gigi also has two black labs named Gus and Leo. She frequents CNN and Twitter as her news sources.