Horrific Crash Shakes Up Small Canadian Community

Cade Prinzivalli, Reporter

Around 5 p.m. April 7, a deadly crash between a tractor-trailer and bus carrying a Canadian junior hockey league team occurred in rural Saskatchewan, killing sixteen people on board the bus.

The bus was carrying coaches, players, and several others involved with the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team and was headed to Nipawin for a playoff game. The families and those involved with the team are distraught and struggling to deal with the losses.

“We are heartbroken and completely devastated by the tragedy that occurred yesterday, Broncos president Kevin Garinger said. “We will never forget April 6, 2018, and we will never forget the members of our Broncos family who were taken from us and who were injured.”

The Blanchet community, although not directly involved, still finds the situation hard to deal with.

“It’s a tragedy seeing so many young lives filled with so much talent lost,” said Senior John Broom. “Especially with their athletic ability, it’s hard to understand why these types of things happen.”

The tragedy has reached people far outside the reach of the small Humboldt community. Reaching most major news sources, the tragedy has brought people together globally in support for the lives lost.

“Just spoke to @JustinTrudeau to pay my highest respect and condolences to the families of the terrible Humboldt Team tragedy. May God be with them all!” tweeted President Donald J. Trump.