Remembering a Seattle Legend

Max Klauser, Reporter

The world was left shocked on Monday, October 15, 2018 when Seattle Seahawks owner, Portland Trail Blazers owner, and Microsoft co-founder, Paul Gardner Allen passed away from complications with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, at only the age of 65.
Allen was a Seattle native who attended Lakeside High School, where he met Bill Gates, although Gates was still in 7th grade while Allen was in 9th. According to K5, Lakeside has hung up signs around reading, “Thank you Paul.” Over the years, Allen has donated over 20 million dollars to the high school. Allen also donated generously to colleges such as WSU and UW for brain science research.
Many others in the Seattle and NFL communities responded to Allen passing. The NFL’s official Instagram account posted a photo of Allen alongside head coach Pete Carroll, hoisting the Lombardi Trophy after Super Bowl XLVIII. At the bottom of the picture it read, “Paul Allen 1953-2018”. The photo was captioned “We are saddened to share that Seahawks owner Paul Allen has passed away at age 65.” The post received a major reaction including a comment from Seahawks safety Bradley McDougald, “RIP Mr. Allen,” said McDugald, “your hard work and sacrifices has changed numerous lives for the better and changed peoples lives. Thank you for everything you did for me, forever indebted!”
McDougald showed his gratefulness to Allen for helping to bring him to league from Kansas University, and over 3,000 Instagram users liked his comment.
Former Seahawks quarterback and 2005 NFC Champion, Matt Hasselbeck commented, “#ThanksPaul”. Many others posted to pay their respects to Allen passing away, including Bill Gates, Tyler Lockett, the Seahawks, Pete Carroll, and Russell Wilson.
Paul Allen and Bill Gates worked together and founded one of the largest businesses in today’s world back in April of 1975. Although the childhood friends were from Seattle, Microsoft was founded in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Their company is now worth 833.31 billion dollars and is still rapidly growing. Shares sell at well over $100 each, making it one of the biggest companies in the New York Stock exchange.
Allen wrote two books in his lifetime as well. His 2011 memoir Idea Man talks about his fighting cancer, his relationship with Bill Gates, and his success in business. His other book was a 2014 coffee table book from when his Seattle Seahawks won the Super Bowl. It’s titled World Champion Seahawks: We are 12, where “12” is a reference to the Seahawks “12th Man” or fans. The nickname comes from there being 11 players on the football field, but the fans are the 12th because of how loud and impactful they are to the game.The book talks about young quarterback Russell Wilson and the beast himself, Marshawn Lynch in the Seahawks 43-8 win over the Denver Broncos.
Allen had a major impact on Bill Gates, so of course when he passed away in mid-October, there was no way for Gates to stay silent about it. On his online blog, “Gates Notes”, Gates wrote about his life with Allen in a blog called “What I loved about Paul Allen”. He talked about their lives together and how big of an influence Allen was to him. Allen introduced him to the world of music and sports. He took him to a Portland Trail Blazers game, explaining the game patiently, as Gates is not a big sports fan. Gates went on about Allen’s rare gift and talent to explain complicated things in a simple way.
“When I think about Paul,” said Gates, “I remember a passionate man who held his family and friends dear. I also remember a brilliant technologist and philanthropist who wanted to accomplish great things, and did.Paul deserved more time in life. He would have made the most of it. I will miss him tremendously.”
Allen will always be seen in Seattle as the hero who saved the Seahawks in 1996. At the time, the team was close to moving to Southern California. Back then, the franchise was only 20 years old. The team had already begun working out in Anaheim California during the offseason. According to the Seattle times, there were already moving vans ready for the team to head South. Paul Allen was never necessarily a major fan of the sport but he cared greatly about the city and the city’s future. Allen agreed to save the team under the condition that the city funded for a new stadium. This was the start of CenturyLink Field which was erected in 2002. In the 2005 season, the Seahawks won their first NFC Championship in franchise history, because of Allen. In 2013, he got to take home the Lombardi trophy after winning Super Bowl XLVIII, and the year after, they won the NFC title again. Allen truly was a hero in Seattle’s history, in the face of both sports and business.
Allen is giving majority of his assets to charitable organizations, according to Philanthropy News Digest. Already, over 1 billion dollars has gone to a variety of charities and fund nonprofit organizations in the Pacific Northwest. A significant amount of his money has ended up at the Allen Institute for Brain Science, his own nonprofit institution which has been incredibly successful in brain research.
The death of Paul Allen had an impact on the Bishop Blanchet community as well. Ms. Shannon Riley-Caseman was shocked to see such a great man pass away. “Paul Allen was a thoughtful, kind and generous man that gave back to his hometown of Seattle,” said Riley-Caseman, “he will be missed in our community!”
She recognized that Allen was a selfless man who wanted the best for the local community as well as the rest of the world. Paul Allen passing away will have an effect on this world for many years to come. He was a great man who made a large impact on the city of Seattle.