You will remember the name, Billie Eilish.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lena Gorev, Reporter

Seventeen year old, Southern California native Billie Eilish has topped the charts this past year due to her contemporary lyrics and unique voice.

The name Billie Eilish is known around the world and idolized by many, which is something not a lot of seventeen-year-olds can say.

Eilish is from a musical family; with her older brother Finneas O’Connell producing his own music, as well as her parents being involved in the arts, finding her voice wasn’t hard to do.

Starting at age eight, Eilish was in the Los Angeles Children’s Chorus then continuing onto writing her own songs at age eleven.

Her unique voice and growth as an artist blossomed in 2016 as her song “Ocean Eyes” went viral on SoundCloud with over 18 Million streams. This popular, deep song transformed listeners into a state of peace and tranquility with her melodic voice, stunning them with how talented she was at such a young age. “Ocean Eyes” gained so much popularity that other artists remixed the song that she co-produced with them in 2017 to give the soft ballad a techno touch.

After “Ocean Eyes,” Eilish released “Bellyache” and “Bored.” Like other songs her brother Finneas wrote and produced, these two soon become hits.

Without hesitation she again gained a huge amount of following including Netflix show “Thirteen Reasons Why” using “Bored” for their soundtrack.

A pinnacle moment for Eilish would be the debut of her EP “Don’t Smile at Me”, with every song reaching some sort of fame.

Eilish could only go up from here as she was able to collaborate with other artists like Vince Staples to remix her song “Watch”. 

By the start of 2018, Eilish hit the road for her first tour in the States, Where’s My Mind.

The unique way Eilish produces her songs is like no other. Her recent album, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? , just dropped this March and was completely recorded and written with Finneas in their Highland Park home.

Her ability to authentically be herself is shown through every individual lyric she produces as well as her style. Eilish dresses in a unique way, she stands out for her tomboy looks as well as her creative abilities shown through her music videos.

Personally being a fan myself, I was up until 12 a.m. for the release of her album. The connection to each song was magical in a way, while listening to them from start to finish they all connected telling a story.

Lena Gorev, Reporter

Lena Gorev, a senior at Bishop Blanchet, is a new member of the Journalism team and the Miter staff.

As an avid reader and listener of NPR and CNN,...