One Lunch? Many Opinions, and not many are positive.

Was the Grand Experiment All That Grand? Photos tell the story.

Lena Gorev, Reporter

On Monday, May 6th, the students of Bishop Blanchet had their first “combined lunch;”  all students from first and second lunch to come together for one, huge lunch.

In what proved to be one hectic afternoon, most students did not enjoy the experiment.

“I hated it,” said Junior Abbie Orse.

Orse felt the experience was too hectic and unnecessary.

With so many people in the Commons, it was harder to get anything for lunch. The hot lunch line snaked all the way to the stairs on one side and to the athletic office on the other.  By the time students reached the front of any line, including the grab and go option, there was not much food left.

With the experiment happening on the first day of AP testing,  some students had already left campus before lunch began, meaning the lines could have been even longer.

Still, some students felt they had the solution.

Sophomore Veronica Brems and Junior Ainsley Muenzberg thought it would be a good idea to have one big, fifty-minute lunch,  but give students the ability to go off campus to get food.

The Bishop Blanchet campus is within driving distance of Northgate, and Green Lake is a five-minute walk away.

Luckily on May 6th,  it was sunny and the temperature was in the mid-sixties, so as the Commons became packed, dozens retreated outside.

But what happens if it is cold and/or raining?

“I didn’t mind it,” said Junior Casey Campbell. “Even though it was a bit overwhelming, people could go outside but what if it’s not sunny?”

On May 17, the administration announced another trial run of the one lunch period on the 21st and 23rd of May.

The students of Bishop Blanchet seemed to not enjoy having one lunch; it was fun while it lasted,  but two lunches might be the responsible thing to do.