AP Testing Arrives in the Halls of Blanchet

Dani Smith, Reporter

With the end of the year just around the corner, and Seattle spring in full bloom, most upper-class Blanchet students all know what time it is: AP testing. It can be a very exciting time of the year, with everyone getting ready for summer, and the seniors in full swing senioritis. But, before we can all get too excited, there is AP testing that has to occur.

For Blanchet and across the nation, the testing happens every year around this time for about two weeks with a wide range of classes. These classes are specifically designed to prepare the students for top colleges/universities and years beyond. Blanchet offers a total of 13 Advanced Placement classes: AP Computer Science, AP Language and Composition, AP Literature and Composition, AP Studio Art, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP U.S. History, AP Government and Politics, AP French, AP German, AP Spanish, and AP Physics.

By being a high honors student at Blanchet it means the student will have an average GPA of a 3.6 or above. By having that GPA it means that most students have the success rate of 92% of earning a score of 3 or higher on at least one AP test. With the success of earning a score of 3 or higher, it means most colleges and universities will take that credit and count it towards a class at their school so you won’t have to take it again while you’re there. 

With it being in the middle of AP testing this time of year, I got the chance to talk to two senior girls, Annelise Belfie and Ella Adams, on their experience with what is AP testing and give their opinion on what this system has done for them as it comes to an end for them.

“By testing AP format, including former AP questions and practicing FRQs, my teachers prepared me well for the test,” stated Belfie.

Whereas on a completely another view of things, Senior Ella Adams has had a different experience with the AP testing and system. Even though both seniors had taken around the same amount of AP classes throughout their two years, they had completely different experiences with the process.

“While taking AP classes is almost required now to be accepted into any form of competitive university, the college board targets distraught and sleep-deprived teenagers in the scam that is AP testing,” said Adams. “4+ hours of my time, wasted, just to see how well I can sit in a room, fill in bubbles, and answer randomly selected essay prompts. As if four hours could sum up my AP experience.”

The AP system is not an easy thing, and Blanchet being the college preparatory school it is, challenges its students to take that challenge if it best fits them. As stated by the two girls, there can be two sides to this system that can be positively benefiting to oneself, and also can be draining mentally and physically.