Celebrating Black History Month in 2020

Black History Month provides both celebration and education.

Mari Kamemoto

Freshman Christine Cainglet and Emma Butler discussing at the MLK assembly.

Natasha Kaimakis, Reporter

In some parts of the world, countries celebrate Black History Month during the month of February as a time that celebrates, remembers, embraces and thanks African Americans.

In 1926, Carter G. Woodson started the foundation for Black History Week. During the second week of February, he started “Negro History Week”. He dedicated the second week of February due to the birthdays of Fredrick Douglas and Abraham Lincoln. Both were crucial figures for advancing equality in America. Douglas was a former slave that went to the northern states, to write about abolishing slavery. He was famous for his literature and lectures. Lincoln is remembered due to the Emancipation Proclamation. Woodson’s intention was to educate students about the impact African Americans had on our society, culture, and history. During this time, many textbooks did not mention their influence.

Luckily, it is no longer a week, but a month. In 1976 United States President Gerald Ford made it official. 

Whether locally or nationally, Black History Month is still relevant in 2020. For instance, cities around the United States host a Festival honoring this month. Other areas also celebrate in a variety of ways too. In Seattle, there are many opportunities to embrace this tradition. There are events like art walks, music, films, readings, and talks from celebrities and authors, and more. Furthermore, many celebrities recognize this period. Whether it is on Twitter, award speeches or lectures, black and white figures speak out acknowledging the movement.

At Bishop Blanchet the Black Student Union will host Diversity Education on February 21. During an assembly, they will talk about how diversity has affected their lives.

“I am very excited for the assembly,” said junior Kate Judy, “I always learn a lot.” 

In January, the Braves had a Martin Luther King Assembly, celebrating him and other’s works. The Black Student Union meets twice a month on the first and third Tuesday.