Crazy Hair, Don’t Care

Seattle+Prep+senior+showcases+her+pink+hair+at+sunset.+

Laure

Seattle Prep senior showcases her pink hair at sunset.

Lauren Jarman, Reporter

As the American people experience a new lifestyle known as quarantine, alteration of physical image becomes popular amongst teens and young adults.

Although everyday life is at a halt, online trends continue to consume the minds of young people through influential ideas and artistic expression. Cutting new hairstyles have been a hot topic amongst not only girls but boys too.

“I cut my daughter’s bangs in the beginning of the stay home implementation” said Blanchet mom Megan Jarman, “she had always wanted to try it and figured that if she didn’t like it, at least she wouldn’t have to see people until it grew out!”

Being homebound has created a common boredom in routine, leaving kids with a desire for excitement, even if that excitement means changing one’s image. Not only does quarantine produce the desire for change, but it creates a safe space for people to experiment with any new hairstyle minus the pressure of the public eye.

Although feeling stuck may drive some people to a new hairstyle, others are driven by a feeling of freedom. Not only is changing style a relevant trend, but changing color as well.

“I dyed my hair pink” said Seattle Prep senior Claire Filarski “I had always wanted to try it but my school’s dress code did not allow it”.

The isolation from organizations have given people, specifically students, more freedom to express themselves through image due to the fact that they aren’t presenting themselves to the institution each day. A violation of dress code is only in effect on school premises, so even though Claire still attends school through zoom, the school’s policies have a greater leniency.

As long as hair salons are closed due to COVID-19, at home hair changes will continue to make its mark, positively and negatively.