Juniors Learn To Be Brave

Malcolm McDowall, Reporter

Junior Retreat, held at South Bellevue Community Center on Thursday September 29, and Friday September 30,  offered the class of 2018 the chance to learn to pull together to accomplish things.

The retreat was held on consecutive days, breaking up the class  in half for each day.

The goal of the mandatory retreat was to pull the class together, challenge them with difficult tasks, and show them that they were stronger when they worked together.

To accomplish that, the class tackled the outdoor section, which consisted of the ropes course, a trust exercise where blindfolded partners led each other through a set path, and other physical activities.

“The most challenging part of the whole retreat was this vertical ropes course,” said junior Kathryn Needham, “where like three of us at a time had to navigate and climb… The whole objective of it was to push yourself to do your best”

img_0015
Juniors eat lunch during the indoor section of the retreat, waiting for a presentation. Photo Credit: Clara Costa

When the retreat moved indoors, the focus moved to faith.

“Overall,” said Campus Minister Rachel McGovern,  “I thought it was a really positive experience, and it was interesting to see on the outdoor portion, people found their limits, some didn’t even attempt the super high [ropes course].”