The Ball is Rolling for Intramural Sports

Cole Thomas, Reporter

Sunday mornings at BBHS are calm and quiet. There are no students or teachers there to go about their business. But when the sun sets Sunday nights and the shoes are laced up, competition runs high in the Ernie Rose Activity Center.

Intramural sports started its 2017 school year campaign on the hardwood of the AUX gym last Sunday with 3 on 3 basketball. Students of all skill levels and grades came to try their hand in basketball, which is the goal of the program says administrator Logan Brewster,

“Intramurals are open to any and all BBHS students no matter the skill level,” said Brewster. “It is a safe and fun time for students while competing with their classmates.”

Intramural sports are a good escape from the stresses of the school week. Whether kids are stressed about an upcoming test, usual teenage drama, or are swamped with homework to do, Intramurals is an escape to leave the stresses behind and join in on friendly competition.

“It’s great to see kids get an opportunity to blow off steam.” said Brewster, who as a teacher knows the weekly workload students must deal with.

Every Sunday, a new tournament is formed and bracket is put out for teams to see who they are matched up with. While the reward for winning is not that of material value, the taste of sweet victory is still evident.

“The trophy is bragging rights,” said Brewster, “but that could change to something like a gift card in the future”.

Students aren’t the only ones getting in on the action though. Faculty teams are present on the court and ready to one up their students outside the classroom. Brewster added that he hits the court every once and awhile himself, and when asked about who the favorite was to take the cake every Sunday, he kept it short and sweet.

“The faculty team. Always”.

Intramurals aren’t just limited to basketball, however. Flag football, volleyball, and handball will also be sports available to students this winter and spring.

Whether you are a world class athlete or are looking to hang out with friends for a couple hours on Sunday nights, intramural sports is a fun and active way to get involved in a BBHS activity and meet new people.

Intramurals will meet again this Sunday night in the Ernie Rose Activity Center. Grab your hightops, bring some friends, and get ready for some friendly competition.