Boys Hoops Looks to Make a Statement in 2017-18 Season

Cole Thomas, Reporter

The BBHS boys basketball team is ready to lace up and hit the court to officially begin the Sauvage era this winter.

After a season in which the Braves competed in one of the top leagues on the West Coast, returning players are ready to turn heads and surprise those in the state who are overlooking the optimistic team.

Junior Chris Frost is amoung those returning players who was able to see substantial time on the court during the 2017 season. Frost took note of the great experience he was able to gain from being a sophomore on the varsity squad last year.

“The experience I got last year was great,” said Frost. “I’ll just be trying to help the team win in any way I can.”

When asked about the team goals for this season, Frost knew Metro League opponents would not think much about the Braves upon first glance, but the team is using that as motivation to open the eyes of the greater Seattle area.

“The Metro League is really good, but we want to be competitive no matter who we’re playing” said Frost. “ We need to play our game, team basketball, and we will turn some heads.”

Senior TJ Kenny also believes that the Braves will be putting the rest of Metro on upset alert.

“We’ve got a good group of guys this year who are looking to work hard for each other,” said Kenny. “ We will play as a team. Expect us to turn heads this year.”

With the new season comes a new head of the boys basketball program, coach Bill Sauvage. Sauvage is the father of junior guard Lester Sauvage, who similar to Chris Frost is another junior who saw quality varsity playing time as a sophomore. When asked about playing high school hoops under his dad, Lester was confident in his father’s ability to lead a group of young men.

“I’m a little bit nervous to be playing under my dad,” Sauvage said. “But I’m also grateful. He’s the best coach, and I know he is gonna make the best of this team.”

The family ties will without a doubt be strong on the court of the Ernie Rose Gym this winter.

Sauvage also made note of the off season work that was put in by the team.

“This year you can expect a lot of hard work that has been put in since the end of last season,” he said.  “We are gonna come out and surprise some teams this year so expect the best.”

Frost, Kenny, and Sauvage amongst the rest of their teammates are all confident in the work they have put in this past spring and summer and are ready to roll under their new leader. The Braves begin their season their season on November 28th when they travel to Kentwood High School to take on the Kentwood Knights. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 pm.