Braves Put on Strong Showing Against Eastside

Cole Thomas, Reporter

The Bishop Blanchet men’s and women’s track and field teams had strong performances in several different events at a meet with Eastside Catholic last Thursday.

In the men’s 200 meter, senior Dylan Murphy posted a 24.30 and finished 4th, followed by junior Joseph Khan in 5th who ran a 24.47, a personal record. Ben Culala, Joseph Dolejsi, and James McIntyre placed 9th, 10th, and 11th. Both Culala and McIntyre finished with personal bests in each their top 15 finishes.

Other Braves in the top 15 included Dominic Orsi (13th) and Jack Prohaska (14th). In total, Bishop Blanchet had 7 athletes in the top 15 and 11 in the top 20 placing.

The women’s 200 meter was also a successful showing, as Blanchet was represented on the podium by Enya Pooler, running a personal best 28.46 and placing second, and Malea Owen, who also set a personal record with her 28.54 time and placing third.

Sophomore Abbie Orse was yet another Brave with a top 5 finish in the 200, running a 29.23, which was good enough to finish her in fourth.

The 9-16 finishing spots in the women’s 200 all belonged to BBHS, meaning 12 of the 16 top placements were all Blanchet athletes.

In the shot put circle, senior Scott Rickels once again made his case for one of the top throwers in the state by finishing first with a 47-10.00 put. Rounding out the top 5 was Sophomore Jacob Nguyen, who continues to impress Metro competitors despite his young age. Nguyen placed 4th with a 39-08.00 toss, followed by junior Jack Donahue, placing 5th,  with a 38-03.00 toss

The women’s shot put top 5 placing were owned by BBHS. Senior Jillese Bush finished first with a 36-10.00 put, followed by freshman Ella Haskins, who set a personal record with a 27-08.00 toss and finished in second. The top 5 was rounded out by Molly Ramsay, Nora Shepherd, and Natalie Kostecka. Kostecka’s 5th place finish was due to a personal record 18-07.00 put.

In men’s pole vault, Conor Moore and Phillip Stienke represented Blanchet with first and second place finishes. Moore vaulted 10-06.00 and Stienke had a 10-00.00 jump, a personal best.

Willow Berryessa was the lone finished for the Braves in women’s pole vault, as she tied Eastside Catholics Samantha Serex with a 7-00.00 vault.

The Braves had many more personal records set and top placing efforts at Eastside Catholic in other events, and success in Tim Frosts program feeling good heading into the latter half of the season. The Braves will be back in action on Thursday against Nathan Hale and Lakeside.