Extra! Extra!: Library Week Is Coming!

Alex French, Reporter

A week full of food, story telling, reading, and library fun? Sign me up!Library 2

From next Monday April 11th  to Friday April 15th, five days of library madness are bound to capture the attention of all Braves. What is the reason for this craziness?   Library week.

The American Library Association sponsors Library Week, and libraries and schools throughout the country will be observing it.

Mrs. Jodie Purcell, our school’s  librarian, cannot wait for the week.

“Everyone can be a part and contribute to the week,” said Purcell.

The week was actually kicked off the week before on Tuesday during a talk by Gene Luen Yang. Yang, a distinguished graphic novelist, talked about his life and how we can learn from reading.

“Everyone should read a genre, or style of reading that is out of their comfort zone. We can learn a lot from one another by reading”, said Yang.

Next week, the school will be full of decorations. Students have written quotes of why they love the library posted in the main staircase. There is also an option for students to give morning reflections on why they like the library.

During lunch and before and after school,  teachers will be reading stories, and free food will be offered in the library. Yes, for this week the library is telling you to eat in there!

Library 3Senior library assistants Molly O’Connor and Anabel Roza are very eager for library week to begin because they think that the importance of libraries is going away.

“Libraries are a peaceful place where people come for a common purpose,” said Roza, “to learn. Also, all the cool kids are in the library.”

You too can be cool by hanging out at the library.

“I believe that people who read are more intelligent and interesting,” said O’Connor.  “No better place to read than the library.”

Libraries are a key aspect that is fading away in our country, and no better way than a Bishop Blanchet library week to restore the importance of a peaceful library.