Finnegan is a hero on and off the baseball diamond

Da'Shay Alexander, Reporter

Not all heroic people wear capes they say, and not all heroes save people from bad guys or fires. Heroes come in all shapes, forms and even in everyday lives.

Science teacher Mike Finnegan is a hero in the Bishop Blanchet community, not only as a teacher, but he also coaches baseball, taking on the title of head varsity coach for the first time this year.

Finnegan has held a teaching career at BBHS for 24 years, and also coaching for 24 years. This year Mr.Finn has taken on the head coach positioning for the baseball team.

His goals are to work hard, play hard and have fun. He is excited to see what the season has to bring.

In the classroom he has extremely high enthusiasm and energy; he expresses to the class that learning is twice as fun and interesting as other things. He is fully engaged in his class and the students.

“I like how he makes sure his students are comfortable and happy” said junior Noelle Mortensen, “he puts out the “happy lights” and stuff animals for students to feel occupied.”

Finnegan wants every student to love what he is teaching as much as he loves it.

“Everyday, every class is different,” said Finnegan. “Getting to know so many people and being a part of their lives if just for a short period of time.”

He works really hard to connect with his students and engage them. Many students that take Mr. Finn’s Human Anatomy and Physiology or Marine Biology love it.

“Mr.Finn’s class was the best!” said senior Pomy Ayele, “Human AP was a hard topic, but the way Mr.Finn teaches helped me grasp the concept no matter what.”

Finnegan has impacted many students by doing something he loved.

Two fellow students of  Mr. Finn’s past classes got married and had a child. She bumped into Finnegan one day and told him the story of how he greatly impacted both her and her husband during their high school years. Due to such amazing learning and time in the classroom, they named their first child Finnegan.

Needless you say I was blown away,”  said Finnegan, “and it showed me how important the time in the classroom is.”

Mr. Finn loves teaching, he takes his love and passes it on to many students that sit in his class.