From a Warrior to a Brave

From a Warrior to a Brave

Da'Shay Alexander, Reporter

Moving schools is never an easy thing to do: you have to make new friends and get used to the motions of high school. No one wants to move to a different school during their last year; senior year is the last year to make the best memories with all your classmates, and is a time to reflect on the good and bad with your friends throughout high school. It’s a bittersweet moment, making it difficult to move, leave all your friends, and the place you’ve called home for the last three years. 

Senior Sophia Elnemr made the swift change this fall to the Blanchet community from Edmonds Woodway high school. The transition from Edmonds Woodway, a school of about 2,000, to Blanchet, which is half the size, could be a shock, but it didn’t faze Elnemr.

“I guess the only really big difference is that Blanchet is a private school, so it’s nice that faith is incorporated to my education,” said Elnemr “Also, my old school was about twice the size of Blanchet, so there were a lot more people to keep track of and it could get kind of hectic.” 

Sophia (far left) with friends Tabitha Farthing Molly Henling, and Carissa Osborne at a cross country meet.

Blanchet’s community is strong, engaging students and making it a great place to transfer to. Here in the Blanchet community the motto to go by is “Be True, Be Kind, Be Brave”. Everyone lives by this strongly, the teachers, staff and the students, which reflects on the school atmosphere.

“I love Blanchet! I also think the teachers here can be more amiable. They really try to get to know you both as an individual and as a student, which I really appreciate,” said Elnemr. “That wasn’t really something I experienced at my old school. But I think it definitely depends on the individual teacher.”

Finding clubs to join and making friends is important in your senior year. It can be difficult to do this when you’re new to a community, but Elnemr decided to make the best of her sudden move. She has joined the cross country team, and also is on the track team at Blanchet.

“I ran on the track team, but got injured and had to sit out the rest of the season. At my old school I was in FCCLA, NHS, and the Debate team,” said Elnemr. “At Blanchet I’m still apart of NHS I’ve also joined the Green Team, and French Club.”

IMG_2001 (1)
Sophia (far right) with friends Tabitha Farthing, Allison Fiorini, Nikki VandePutte and Carissa Osborne on green team!

Moving schools has its perks, and at times the friends and relationships that are made are missed and never forgotten.  

“I definitely miss many of my old teachers and friends,” said Elnemr. “I think that you can form really special relationships with teachers and classmates that can never really be forgotten.”

Moving schools is never an easy thing to do: you leave a lot of friends behind and start out in an unknown place that is now becoming home. It may be hard at first, but the move will always get better.

“I’ve been so blessed to meet so many new people during my time here at Blanchet,” said Elnemr. “I made the best of my situation, and I made great memories.”