Changes in service requirements acknowledge the prospect of extended COVID presence

Miter Staff

Ms. Manon Cypher, Service Coordinator of Bishop Blanchet, announced significant adjustments to the service requirements for students in the 2010-2021 school year, recognizing that at least a portion of the next school year may need to be spent in stay-home restrictions. 

Because of the need for social distancing, students may create their own self-directed, individualized service projects that help the needy in one’s own neighborhood or within your family.  As listed in a June 10th email that went out to all students, the possibilities for these projects are numerous.  

They include weeding or gardening for an elderly neighbor or grandparent, recording an interview with an elderly friend or relative about their life, picking up trash at a neighborhood park, or walking a dog for quarantined or impaired family, friends or neighbors.  

Students could also create motivational artwork for first responders, nursing home residents and/or health care workers.

For those who like to work with kids, students can do virtual tutoring for elementary or middle school students perhaps through the grade school they attended in a way of giving back to that community.   If a student has younger brothers or sisters,  supporting the learning of a younger family member, especially if the possibility of Digital Distance Learning  continues through the the beginning of the next school year. 

Cypher’s email also suggested students could serve as a pen pal or phone buddy for an isolated elderly person, saying that nursing homes or places of worship may have lists of  people that could use extra care right now. 

For those with strong organizational skills, Cypher suggests coordinating with the local  shelter or food bank to inquire about their needs and organizing a sock, sleeping bag or food drive among your family and friends.

If any of these self-directed projects interest you, complete a service proposal by either using the link provided in the email or by referring to the school website. A certain amount of planning is required for the self-directed projects to be approved and carried out. 

Students may also fulfill their 12 hour commitment by working with one of the approved nonprofit organizations listed one the school website. There are a series of organizations one can choose from.  

You can volunteer to work with one of the thirteen organizations that help the elderly, individuals with physical or intellectual challenges, or people, or their families, living with illness, including Special Olympics, the Ronald McDonald House, and Catholic Community Services’s Volunteer Services for elderly or disabled adults.

For those interested in working to protect the environment and/or animal life, eighteen organizations are provided, like Ginger’s Pet Rescue, the Puget Sound Beekeepers Association, the Seward Park Audubon Center, and Seattle Parks Department. 

Students can reach out and help people experiencing hunger, homelessness, and poverty by signing up to help with one of the eighteen organizations, like the Union Gospel Mission, Northwest Harvest, and Cathedral Kitchen, to name a few. 

Braves could help out at one of the eighteen local, nonprofits that minister to needs of our area’s children, including Boys and Girls Clubs, Campfire Day Camps, and the Seattle Public Library’s Learning Buddy program.

Additionally, students may complete up to five hours of service at school events, such as the Brave Venture Auction, Brave Welcome, Open House, Phone-A-Thon, etc. The remaining seven hours of service must be completed at an approved non profit or through a pre-approved self-directed service project.

In addition to the 12 hours of service, students are expected to participate in three online service reflection activities throughout the academic year. These three reflection activities must be completed in addition to the service opportunities in order to fulfill the student’s yearly service expectation. Directions for the reflection activities will be shared over the course of the school year. It is safe to say that students who come into the school year with their plans already in place will have fewer problems completing these reflections. 

Hours will again be logged into NobleHour and should be entered within 2 weeks of volunteering.

As in years past, students must have 12 service hours completed and entered on NobleHour by a specific date: May 3, 2021. The three online service reflections will have their own shelf life. Changes in service requirements acknowledge the prospect of extended COVID presence