One Heck-o A Man

Alex French, Reporter

From Indiana to the Pacific Northwest, Mr. Brett Hecko has a busy life with two jobs: teaching and being a father.

The history teacher was born in Greencastle, Indiana, a town of 9,000. He had a very eventful childhood full of playing sports and spending time with friends. His father was a hard-working auto-mechanic and his mom held down the fort at the home.

About his childhood, Mr Hecko said, “I did a lot of riding bikes, playing a ton of sports and hanging out at the town swimming pool.”

Mr. Hecko is talented in a lot of things, but basketball has always been a major strength. He dominated the game his whole youth. He had a successful high school career before playing college ball at his hometown college of DePauw University, where he would be inducted into the athletic hall of fame. Along with playing basketball in college he worked two jobs while majoring in history.

brett-hecko-1990

After college he was a graduate assistant for the team, and took graduate classes. He and his wife both finished school and wanted something more.

He remembers them thinking, “We have no commitments, we have no jobs…if we want to move, now is the time.”

They contemplated two places, Seattle, Washington and Charleston, South Carolina. They heard good things about each place and how both were good places. They chose the Emerald City, so in August of 1994 they packed their bags and headed west.

Mr. Hecko always had a passion for history so teaching his favorite thing was always the obvious choice for his profession.

He says, “Most people think that I chose to teach because of the salary, but I actually really like history!  The content is fabulous.”

Most high schoolers think that teachers don’t have a life outside of the school building, but that is not the case for Mr. Hecko. Teaching is just a part of his life. His highest priority is his family. His family, including Blanchet students Ben (2017) and Abby (2019), is the focal point in his life. They spend a lot of time together and have a strong family dynamic.

Along with his family, cooking, reading, traveling, and sports are what fill up his schedule.

For the last eighteen years Mr. Hecko has been a vegetarian, and for the last year and a half, has ventured into the dark uncertain world of being a vegan.

He said, “I like to explore different recipes to work with in the kitchen.”

Reading is also something Hecko does when able. He likes nonfiction and specially history works.

He said, “I usually like to read nonfiction, usually American History. I am currently reading a book from Mrs. Purcell about 100 artifacts owned by the Smithsonian Museums.”

Traveling is also something that he has enjoyed. However, he doesn’t take your typical vacations. Hecko enjoys visiting history sites and important places in our countries rich history. He has visited many Civil War battlefields and Presidential libraries, homes, and museums.

Something that has continued to be a big part of his life is sports. Hecko always tries to find time to exercise and occasionally work on his basketball skills. He roots for the Mariners and Seahawks, but in his heart will always love his childhood teams.

“Even though I have lived in Seattle for 22 years, I am still a Midwesterner at heart.  I like the Indianapolis Colts, but am really a Cubs fan!  I lived through decades of misery and heartache…until this year when the Cubbies sweep the Mariners in the Series,” said Mr. Hecko.

BBHS sees Mr. Hecko mostly as a great history teacher and frisbee coach, but not many see his life that consist of things like: sports, reading, traveling, and most important, his family.