New Campus Minister Joins the Blanchet Community

Jason Knoblich, Reporter

Bishop Blanchet’s new director of campus ministry, Rachel Longest, brings years of life experience and knowledge to make everyone’s experience at Bishop Blanchet even better.

Originally not from Seattle, Longest grew up in Bowling Green, Kentucky, living there until she went to college. After leaving Bowling Green Kentucky, Longest attended college at Xavier University in Cincinnati, Ohio, to study advertising; however, instead of graduating Xavier University with an advertising degree, Longest recieved an entirely different degree. At the end of her time at Xavier University Longest got her major in Theology.

After studying at Xavier University Longest applied for a program called Jesuit Volunteers International, giving her the opportunity to teach outside the United States. For two years she volunteered her time to work and teach on the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia. From there Longest worked as a leader at youth retreats in Texas, bringing her onto the path of becoming a campus minister, and from there opportunities presented themselves.  First by becoming a campus minister for a high school in Houston Texas, then her path lead her to work at four different high schools. Eventually the path she started on in Texas lead her to her new home at Bishop Blanchet, becoming its’ new director of campus ministry. While debating the transfer from her old school to Bishop Blanchet Longest remarked on how she was drawn to the atmosphere of Blanchet.

“I came from the East Coast,” said Longest “I liked how relaxed and inviting the atmosphere felt.”

Initially learning about Seattle from her brother, who has lived here for the past fifteen years, Longest gained the opportunity to apply and join the Brave community when the role of director of campus ministry opened up. Once accepted, Longest made the long journey from Maryland all the way to Seattle Washington. So far Longest has enjoyed her time at Bishop Blanchet, meeting new people and getting to know the community as a whole. Asking what most she enjoyed about Blanchet so far she had nothing but positive things to say.

“So far I’ve been enjoying getting to know my new colleagues at Bishop Blanchet,” said Longest. “People will stop in my office to say hi or I’ll catch folks in the hallway or around campus.  People have been very welcoming and kind, even though they all have so much to do.”

Outside of school and work Longest enjoys a plethora of sports and activities to keep herself busy. In her spare time she enjoys creating, specifically she enjoys the art of woodworking. Besides that, she enjoys spending her time cycling. If she cannot be found doing either of those activities, she most likely is cheering on the Cubs or the US Women’s National Soccer Team.