Self-driving car involved in fatality

Hailey Mears, Reporter

A self driving Uber car killed a woman in the street in Arizona. Police said it appears to be the first reported fatal crash involving a self-driving vehicle and a pedestrian in the United States.

Tempe police said the car was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash. The vehicle hit a woman who was walking outside of the crosswalk. There was a vehicle operator inside the car at the time of the crash.

The victim was 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg. She was walking outside of the crosswalk with a bike when she was hit at around 10 pm on Sunday. The Volvo SUV was traveling around 40 miles an hour, and did not appear to slow down as it approached the woman.

“The robot cars cannot accurately predict human behavior,” said John M Simpson, privacy and technology project director with Consumer Watchdog, “and the real problem comes in the interaction between humans and the robot vehicles. The technology is not ready for it yet, and this just sadly proves it.”

Uber is being cooperative and assisting in this still active investigation. They have suspended their driverless car tests since this incident.

“Public safety is our top priority, and we are in communication with law enforcement, which is investigating the accident and gathering facts, as well as Uber,” a spokesman for Arizona Governor Doug Ducey said.

Uber is used by people of various ages. Many students at Blanchet use Uber and value the ability to rely on the company to safely transport them.

“I use Uber often because it is so convenient and easy to use,” said senior Katie Merrywell, “I have only had good experiences with the company, but when I hear of issues regarding safety it makes me nervous and just causes me to be extra cautious.”

Uber has yet to release a final statement regarding the case, but they have agrees to cooperate fully and have sent their regards to the victims family.