Varsity Football Dominates Cleveland’s Homecoming Game

Jason Knoblich, Reporter

Last Friday night the Bishop Blanchet football team made the long trek to Rainier Beach High School to face off against Cleveland High School, blowing them out 41 to 7.

The Braves offense had a slow start against Cleveland on the Friday night of September 29th, missed throws to missed blocks eventually lead to an early interception, giving Cleveland exceptional field position. This, however, did not deter the Braves. With a strong smash-mouth defense having the backs of the offense, Blanchet was able to hold the line and prevent Cleveland from scoring.

“The defense was outstanding,” said captain TJ Kenny, “Anytime you prevent a team from getting a first down for a majority of the game, you can’t complain.”

Exceptional defense eventually lead to exceptional offense, with senior quarterback Joey Riley throwing four touchdowns to four different receivers. To start the endless scoring, in the first quarter Riley threw a twelve yard touchdown pass to Forrest Snorsky. The next three touchdowns Riley threw were caught by Troy Alan, Stewart Blaikie, and Nathan Prinz. To end the night Joey Riley threw for 223 yards, four touchdowns, and had a fifty percent completion rating.

“We started out slower than we anticipated and some people were getting very frustrated,” said Joey Riley, “so we all just relaxed and became more focused. In the second half we scored four touchdowns and it was good to see our offense regain some confidence.”