Teacher by Day, Cross Country Coach by Night

Mari Kamemoto, Reporter

History teacher, Morgan Roe, has started her first year as an assistant  cross country coach. She had an interest in cross country because of the years she ran here at Bishop Blanchet. She has very high hopes for this season and the upcoming postseason. The Braves have individual goals to improve their own times at each race. The Varsity team placed 4th place in State last year, and their goal is to exceed that this year. The girls and coaches had many things to overcome.

“We had a ton of girls that have never run before,” said Roe. “It was hard to bridge the gap from starting out those who have never run before running in a 5k.” 

The girls cross country team was joined by a large amount of freshman eager to learn how to run. Roe worked a lot with the Jr. Varsity team, teaching the new girls how to run and building stamina to run the whole race. Roe mentions the difficulty finding a happy medium between the Varsity and JV runners. 

Team leadership is very important when having a cross country team. Have a strong leader can influence the whole team dynamic. The upperclassmen have set a great example for the underclassroom, they becoming both motivators and supporters during the races. Along with the student leaders on the team, the coaches do a great job supporting their athletes to get better. 

“I love having Ms. Roe as a coach,” said junior, Lily Sires. “She always inspires me to race my hardest. She also inspires me try my best both in workouts and races.”

The coaching staff have been working hard to support and be there for the athletes need. They are being a great example as a runner and a role model. Roe the new coach has been an excellent addition to the Braves coaching staff and will continue to lead the team to success.